Sunday, April 20, 2008

thrown off

if you were asked to recall a certain phone call you received in your entire life... what what would your story be?
for me this may probably be it...

... 6:10 in the am and i'm still resisting the thought that its the beginning of another work week as i put my phone into another 10-minute-tawad snooze mode.

so the phone went silent for a good two seconds when Edwin's call came. As i saw the picture of a penguin flash in my screen, I said to myself, "Figures." Maybe he went off to Cavite early morning. .
"Good morning Michelle. Sorry. Did I wake you?" the calm voice on the other line said.
"It's okay. Kamusta?" I said.
"Um, do you have the PAC hotline number?"
PAC (Philippine Auto Club) is the Emergency Roadside Assistance Provider for all of the Soriano's vehicles.
"I met an accident."
okay... this was when i went on my nanay-panikera mode, "WHAT?!? WHAT HAPPENED?!? ARE YOU OKAY?!?" And I was running scenarios in my head as he was trying to say that he was okay.

"I'm okay. I just need the towing assistance right now. Do you have their number?"
"No. I don't." And i was actually about to run to the PC to boot it so i can google the number. Classic Michelle. Classic.
Cutting the long story short, I ended up giving him the number of PAC's Operations Manager, Roger. I'm sure he could assist him better.

As i went down the staircase--no suklay and all, I went on suspended animation as i read the note that Edwin left for me at the dining table. "Thanks so much, Michelle."

I was thinking, 'damn, he was in an accident. Anong nangyari?
What if it went terribly wrong and writing that note was one of his last acts on earth?'
I was thinking pa why the note only said "thank you" and did not contain the customary, "see you."

SHUCKS!!! I had to consciously force myself to snap out of it. he's okay and promised to give me updates later. so, just wait. and... be thankful of that 6:10 shocking yet reassuring wake up call.

1 comment:

ka edong said...

Thanks, Michelle. Ngayon ko pa lang nabasa ang story from your perspective.

Your Randy Pausch book is still with me dito sa baguio. Pinag-pi-piyestahan ng pamilya yung book :D .

Thanks, Michelle! And See you! :D